Sunday, January 20, 2013

Movin' On Up



A year ago today, I was interviewed and offered a music teaching position at Inuksuk High School, in Iqaluit, Nunavut.  Delighted by my success at the interview, I accepted the offer and travelled to the northern territorial capital, excited to teach in a new land and culture.  As you can see from my previous posts, my time here has been rewarding and informative.  I have learned much from the teachers, students, and community leaders.  These newly acquired skills, attitudes, and views will greatly benefit me for my next adventure.
            
On January 11, I was interviewed for an English/Social Studies position at Inuujaq School in the small community of Arctic Bay, located some 1,227 km northwest of Iqaluit.  I waited anxiously over the weekend, wondering if I made the right impression.  The principal called me on January 14 to offer me the 6 month term position.  After overcoming my surprise and delight, I quickly thought about it and accepted the offer.  I now had a mere two weeks to get everything in order before moving to the other side of Baffin Island
            
If I hadn't received any offers, my backup plan was to stay in Iqaluit until June, supply teaching and teaching piano on the side.  But since my teaching career is still in its early years, I need more 'front-line' experience.  My parents in Ottawa were thrilled to hear that my stay in Nunavut would be prolonged until June.
            
The first teacher I told was Verna, the English Language Arts teacher who guided me in teaching the Alberta English curriculum when I first arrived.  She congratulated me for accepting the position and suggested that I photocopy some of her English and Social Studies resources.  'Better to go there with something prepared,' she advised.  She also offered me a spare Canada Goose winter parka since Arctic Bay would be much colder.  Once the photocopying was done, she & her husband Jim invited me to dinner at the Frobisher Inn
            
The Gallery of Fine Dining really lives up to that name with its formal atmosphere, expensive menu, and wide selection of wines.  It is also frequently visited by local Inuit artists looking to sell their works.  I was tempted to order a steak but decided to try something new: Elk Osso Bucco.  This main course of elk shanks comes with vegetables, mashed potatoes, and a green salad to start.  The meal was delicious, prompting me to promise myself to eat here again in the future.  I thanked Verna & Jim for the dinner invitation, commenting that it was the best way to celebrate the start of something new.  The next day, I gave Verna a card, thanking her for all her help and support.
            
With my mind made up on moving further north, it was time to alert everyone in Iqaluit of my impending departure.  First on the list was Terry, the principal, followed by the teaching faculty and my students.  Everyone congratulated me and wished me all the best in the 'True North'.  They say that to experience the true way of life in the Northern Territories is to live in the smaller communities. 
            
Outside of school, I contacted the Commanding Officer of 795 Air Squadron, who wished me all the best in Arctic Bay and to get in touch with the army cadet corps there.  Next, were all my friends on Facebook who were mostly surprised by my decision to journey further into the Great White North.  They all agreed on one piece of advice: pack warmly.  And last, but not least, my loyal blog followers.  Surprise!
            
Even though Exam Week starts this Tuesday, I had all my exams completed last week.  On top of that, I made sure to have all my marks in and report cards finished as well.  I need this coming week to pack all my belongings and have them shipped to my new home.  As for the last day of last classes on Monday . . . my students will be watching movies.       
            

On Tuesday, January 15, the cadets of 795 Iqaluit Air Squadron had their Commanding Officer's (CO) Parade, where promotions, awards, and presentations are made.  But this parade was just a little more special because it would be presided by Brigadier-General M. Gavin, Commander of 2 Canadian Air Division.  Parents, Legion representatives, and visiting officers sat at the front of the parade square.  I too sat at the front but closer to the podium so that I could get clear shots with my new digital camera.
            
The parade followed a traditional format, starting with the arrival of the Reviewing Party - General Gavin, CO of 795 Captain Chubbs, and the President of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 168, Chris Groves.  After the General Salute, the audience was allowed to sit as the Reviewing Party inspected each cadet on parade.  When the inspections were complete, General Gavin took to the podium to receive the March Past.  Before the presentation of awards, there were speeches by General Gavin, Captain Chubbs, and Chris Groves.  As a way to thank the general for visiting the squadron, Captain Chubbs gave him a blue squadron hoodie.  Several cadets and officers received awards for years of service, community service, and for being the most hard working in the squadron.
            
The CO's Parade concluded with the Advance in Review Order, the Departure of the Reviewing Party, and Marching Off the Colour Party.  When the cadets were dismissed, they had the opportunity to have their pictures taken with General Gavin. 
            

Even though I'm moving to Arctic Bay on January 28, I have a feeling that I haven't seen the last of Iqaluit.  I'll be starting a new blog to document my upcoming northern adventure.  
         

No comments:

Post a Comment