Sunday, May 6, 2012

Into May

About a month ago, Renata, an experienced English/Drama teacher who works at the high school, told me that she personally preferred the winter months over the brief summer months because of the change of scenery.  Due to the lack of vegetation (trees, grass, etc), the land around Iqaluit goes from white to brown & grey.  There are some 'green spots' where one can find many plants, flowers, and bushes but for the most part, the brown ground & grey rocks dominate the landscape.  Her words are starting to make sense now that we are in the month of May. 
            
The temperature averages slightly above 0ÂșC.  It feels like Ottawa in March.  There still is snow on the ground but not as much as before.  The melting snow has given way to small streams of brown water, running along the paved & unpaved roads.  Hundreds of small brown puddles litter the unpaved roads and the sidewalks are muddy because they too are unpaved.  This forces me to continue wearing my winter boots so that I don't get any mud on my dress pants.  I also have to watch where I step because if I slip and fall, I'll be covered in mud.  On the plus side, I no longer have to worry about fierce blizzards and windstorms.  (While writing this post, there were two brief periods of snowfall on May 4 & 6).
                  
I'm now into my fourth month living in the north.  My, how time flies.  Final exams are just five weeks away and after that, summer vacation.  I have been working feverishly, preparing final exam outlines and weekly lessons.  Student absenteeism is now the main problem for teachers & school administrators.  I have noticed a significant drop in attendance for my Grade 11 class last week and several teachers have told me that it may stay that way or get worse.  The only thing we teachers can do is call home and encourage parents/guardians to instruct their kids to attend all their classes.  With land trips and out-of-town field trips taking place around this time, the school looks deserted sometimes.  

            
Last week, two of my Grade 9 guitar classes were taught by Greg Simm, a well experienced guitar player who is associated with the Tusarnaarniq Sivumut Association (TSA).  The TSA is a music organization that runs guitar & fiddle workshops in Pond Inlet, Iqaluit, and Pangnirtung.  This time, Greg was in Iqaluit, holding guitar/fiddle workshops at Nakasuk & Aqsaarnit Middle Schools.  When his name was mentioned to me several weeks prior, I happily agreed to let him meet and instruct my Grade 9s.  He taught them the standard 12 bar blues and I assisted by playing drums. 

            
In English, we began the Media Unit, looking at advertising, creative advertising, and the persuasive techniques that are used by companies & politicians to sell their products & ideas.  Creative advertising is relatively new, aiming to capture the attention of consumers by being unique, life size, humourous and 'thinking outside of the box'. (See the above pic).  The students analyzed three commercials and five creative ads.  Judging from the faces of the attending students, they really enjoyed the examples I chose.  Next week, we will be looking at the news, propaganda, famous photographs, and viral marketing. 
            
For junior & senior music, we're getting ready for a concert on Thursday, May 10th.  An art show is taking place at the high school in the evening and I was asked by the art teacher if the bands could provide some background music.  I agreed and a variety of pieces are being prepared.  For suspense, I'm not going to say what those pieces are. Additionally, I will be performing two piano pieces to give the brass & woodwinds a chance to rest their lips.
            
And lastly, 795 Iqaluit Squadron is having its Annual Ceremonial Review on Saturday, May 26.  With the final parade just three weeks away, many are wondering what kind of team demonstrations there will be?  The topic of a musical display came up during my meeting with the commanding officer on Saturday.  Reflecting on the progress of the newly created drum line, I concurred that they could perform a simple demonstration for their family & friends.  My drummers were immediately onboard with the idea and hastily decided when would be the best nights to hold extra practices.  My drummers still have a lot of work to do but I know they will succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment