Monday, April 9, 2012

Thursday's Blizzard

As I briefly mentioned in my previous post, there was a surge in extreme weather rolling through Iqaluit on Thursday, April 5th, consisting of heavy snowfall and strong winds. After doing some research, the temperature that day was between -19 & -8.5 degrees Celsius. As for snow, around 19 centimetres fell from the sky, and the winds were between 35 & 77km/h. The storm did not reach its climax until mid-afternoon.

On the morning of the 5th, I woke up at 6am, got dressed, and made myself breakfast. It was the last day of school before the Easter Break. As I opened my blinds, I was surprised to see falling snow being blown by heavy wind. I had been told by teachers on Wednesday that a storm was expected the next day but I didn't think it would start in the early morning. The wind-swept snow made me wonder how bad it was for the people living on the plateau? Just before 7am, I received a phone call from a teacher, informing me that morning classes were cancelled because the buses would not be running.

With the morning now free, I used the time to clean up my apartment, check my email, visit the post office, and buy some office supplies for personal use. As the day neared lunchtime, it became apparent that the winds were intensifying. When I got back from the office store, there were 2 messages waiting for me. The first was from the same teacher, calling back to say that afternoon classes were also cancelled. Easter Break had begun a day early. The second was from First Air Cargo, notifying me that my wine order from Rankin Inlet had arrived and was ready for pickup.

There is a liquor warehouse in Iqaluit but it only delivers to businesses who are licensed to sell alcohol. Everyone else is required to submit an alcohol purchase order (phone, fax, mail) to the Rankin Inlet Liquor Warehouse. And I do mean everyone in Nunavut, provided that alcohol is allowed in their community. Obtaining the inventory list & order form was a bit of a challenge. Since I couldn't find them on the Internet, I got photocopies from the teachers at school. There was a break in the snowfall as I walked to First Air Cargo but the wind was still blowing strongly, forcing me to wear a facemask and ski goggles. It was easier to walk back to my apartment with the wine box in my hands because I was walking with the wind. It felt as if an individual had their hands on my back and pushing me forward.

Since the beginning of the week, teachers were made aware that midterm marks needed to be in by Thursday, but because of the weather, it was assumed that everyone would get a day extension. But being the dedicated teacher that I am, I chose to go to the high school and input all my midterm marks in the school's registry.

By this time, it was the mid-afternoon, and the blizzard had reached its peak. The sky was covered by grey/white clouds and snow was blowing in all directions. I actually had to put on my snow pants for the first time. I slowly trudged through the snow towards the high school. About a quarter of the way, a thought popped into my head: why not film this weather spectacle for the people down south. You can view the video here. After viewing the footage, you have to admit that it sure was windy that day.

While working in the quiet confines of my music room, Terry, the principal, made an announcement over the PA system, informing everyone that the roads were being closed due to low visibility. Because of this, he added that anyone who came to school by car should leave immediately before they became stranded at the school. This announcement didn't affect me because I had come on foot but it did make me think. All the roads closed meant the town had effectively shutdown. No taxis would be on the roads and the airport was no longer letting flights arrive & depart. That also meant that banks and most stores would be closed because their workers needed to get home.

After inputting all my midterm marks and jamming on the piano for an extra hour, I decided to see if Arctic Ventures was still open. I needed to buy some groceries for the weekend. The winds were still going strong as I walked past The Brown (the only high rise in town) and the remnants of the Creekside Village houses that burned down back in late February. Through my ski goggles I could see several vehicles driving on the roads: either the roads had been reopened or people were driving at their own risk. As I neared the store, I could hear loud classical music being played outside the main entrance (a psychological tactic used to combat loitering), a good sign that the store was still open. Before entering the store, I walked past an older Inuit man who wasn't as heavily dressed as I was. As we passed each other, he remarked, "It's better to walk against the wind!", most likely referring to the many layers of winter clothing I was wearing. Once I bought all the groceries on my list I headed home and relaxed.

The blizzard would come to an end in the evening, leaving behind a lot of snow for people to shovel. For the people living on the plateau, it appeared that more than 19 centimetres of snow had fallen. The following days would be the complete opposite of Thursday: clear skies, sunny, and warmer temperatures. The snow would melt in several places, revealing patches of the rocky terrain it had covered for so many months.

With the Easter Break in full swing, I have plenty of time to do many things. Of course, a part of that will be devoted to rest and relaxation, but I will also have to work on preparing lessons for next week. A break for us first time teachers just means we have more time to prepare. Since I will be staying in town for the break, I will be able to experience more Inuit culture. The next big event is the Toonik Tyme Festival, scheduled to take place between April 12 & 16. The festival is devoted to officially welcoming the spring season with games, music, competitions, and feasting on traditional Inuit foods. Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment